Re: smb.conf (a little help please)

jdow wrote:
From: "Justin Willmert" <justin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Generally I have found it's awkward to impossible to write to a
windows machine unless the account and smbpasswd entry match one
on the windows machine. Mounting usually works best if I use the
form that includes the username and password to use when mounting
the share.

{^_^}

I have had the same experience... could not write to the directory
unless the logon sequence was a user on the MS machine as well as the
appropriate password. Greg

Let me guess, the MS machine was Windows XP Pro with simple file sharing turned off? You need to make sure the "Everybody" group has nearly full permissions when going to the security tab. Or (might not work; kind of guessing here) you can turn on simple file sharing, unshare the directory, reshare it (and watch permissions get applied to all the files), and then it might work. Then you should be able to mount the share with any username (except a windows-known user with incorrect password) and password and it should work.

GACK! CHOKE! ARGH! Sinple file sharing is enough. But do NOT create
an anybody group with a lot of permissions. Windows is open enough to
cracking as it is. There is no sense opening it up even farther even
if you hate the damn thing. Any hacked Windows machine is a pain in
the sit down part of the anatomy for virtually every ISP and email
manager in the world. Please don't create a risk of adding to that
problem. {O.O}
When I said to set the Everybody group, I of course meant you do that only with Windows machines inaccessible from the internet, secured behind a firewall, and used for a small home network where there won't be more than 10 computers. If the network the Windows computer are on is in an environment where outside users can get into the network, then feel free to follow jdow's choking and don't allow the Everybody group permissions.

Just wanted to clear up what I meant. Many people on the list are probably in business environment, while I'm here at home fiddling with my home server before I go back to school. Different thought contexts.

Justin