configure fails on gcc?

Hi Folks

Not quite sure where to send this - just got a blank stare from opensync
mail list :|  Though, others seem to have similar problems.  So, may be
someone here can help?

Running fc5.

Trying to compile <http://svn.opensync.org/plugins/synce> from svn
source I get a failure on './autogen.sh': see bottom for output and log.

I googled on the error message and found this
<http://pomocnik.com/users/dan/2005/10/checking-for-c-compiler-default-output-file-name-configure-error-c-compiler-cannot-create-executables/>.
 It suggests installing glibc-devel or perhaps libc6-dev, but
glibc-devel is installed and any packages offering something with libc6
are also installed.

Any ideas on what I kneed to install to satisfy the error?

Am I likely to find a simple fix (like something obvious I'm missing)
that'll make this work - or is it likely to be very broken?

Regards,
Morgan.

[root@morgansmachine synce]# ./autogen.sh
configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
configure.in: installing `./missing'
src/Makefile.am: installing `./compile'
src/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for PACKAGE... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
[root@morgansmachine synce]#

config.log (relevant stuff?) :
configure:2590: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2593: $? = 1
configure:2616: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2619: gcc    conftest.c -lmimedir  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: a.out: hidden symbol `__stack_chk_fail_local' in
/usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS) is referenced by DSO
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2622: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "Synce Plugin"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "libopensync-plugin-synce"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.05"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "Synce Plugin 0.05"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "libopensync-plugin-synce"
| #define VERSION "0.05"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2661: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

--
Morgan Read
NEW ZEALAND