Re: Burning backup to dvd - Last word

On Friday 28 July 2006 01:30, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Friday 28 July 2006 02:35, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 11:14 PM +0100 7/27/06, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>> >I realise now that the disk that did burn correctly was not a DVD-R,
>> > but a DVD+R.  Previously the drive had burned either type.  I have
>> > tried several -R and -RW disks in k3b, and k3b did not recognise any
>> > of them.  (The one that apparently burned from cdrecord/command-line
>> > yet could not be read is a separate mystery.)  I have now burned
>> > another backup onto a DVD-RW disk.
>> >
>> >So, it seems that either k3b, cdrecord, or the drive, no longer will
>> >accept -R
>> >or 0RW disks.
>>
>> FWIW, you might try to upgrade the drive's firmware.  Such updates are
>> needed for new media, and also bugs, etc.  This usually requires
>> MSWindows.
>
>Too true.  And the hassle of installing windows just to do that is simply
> not worth it.  But thanks for the suggestion

I did the firmware update to an older drive a couple of years ago, and
surprise of surprises, I didn't tell it I was using windows.  The drive
went on for another 3 or 4 months before the laser finally died. At the
time, all that was required was to copy the file to the drive & I think I
used something like "dd if=filenameofupdatedfirmware of=/dev/hdc".  I
didn't really expect it to work, the drive was already acting funkity, but
it did.  Too bad my shell history isn't infinite. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: