Re: unexpected IRQ trap at vector

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
I just performed a fresh FC5-x86 installation on a Toshiba Tecra M3
notebook.  All was good until I updated to the latest kernel.  Now i'm
seeing this error in dmesg about 10 times/second, non-stop:
unexpected IRQ trap at vector 12

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on here?  I tried booting with
both noapic and acpi=off, and neither made any difference.

Basically a device on IRQ 12 is spamming you with interrupts, Linux believes that is an "Illegal vector":

        /*
* 'what should we do if we get a hw irq event on an illegal vector'.
         * each architecture has to answer this themself.
         */

For i386 the answer is to print that dmesg message.

What is an "illegal vector"? I guess one that does not have a driver ready to service the interrupts.

Normally hardware devices don't start issuing interrupts until they are recognized and asked to do so by a driver.

What does

cat /proc/interrupts

say? What devices are on your box that you are not using under Linux? How about a PS/2-style mouse-like device or somesuch? Anything in /var/log/messages at boot-time about devices not being recognized properly?

-Andy