Re: Cannot Log On

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 13:45 -0500, Smith, Herb wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have FC5 loaded on a Dell in a dual boot configuration. It has been
> working fine for months.
> Yesterday when I went to boot the machine (power went down in a rain
> storm...) and log on, the system booted up fine, FC5 loaded and I got to
> the LogOn page.  When I attempted to log on, all I get after entering my
> username and password is a blank screen.  All I could do was cycle the
> power to get it to boot again.  I tried changing the session to the
> Gnome Save mode and that got me in, but most of my Launcher names are
> gone...
>
> Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I would proceed to
> fix it?
>
> TIA,
>
> Herb

Herb,

After you get the system booted to 'single user' mode take a look at
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  It sounds like this file may have been corrupted.
Look to see if there is an xorg.conf.bak or something like that.  If one
is present the problem may not be related to an electrical failure, but
rather a download of a new version of xorg.  If you see a copy of
xorg.conf rename while saving everything just in case you do something
wrong.  Reboot and try it again after you make the changes if this
applies.

Good Luck!!

Greg Ennis