Re: Help using scripts when USB devices plug-in

Samuel Díaz García wrote:
> Hi, I'm searching how-to use a script when I connect my webcam or my
> movil USB cable.
>
> For example, when I connect the USB movile cable, I need to put 666
> permisions on /dev/ttyACM0 detected device, or when I plug-in my webcam
> into my notebook, I need the same into /dev/video0 device.
>
> Where I can add these scripts to allow all users to take control over
> the pluged-in devices?
>
> Thanks

Your /dev/video0 settings will get probably get overridden by
/etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms. You could it with a
udev rule, but the first time you logged in/out with the device
plugged in, it would get changed. You are better off changing it
there - probably adding a local rule file. Check "man console.perms"
for some additional information. You can write a udev rule for USB
device that controls the permission of /dev/ttyACMx, or you could
write a console.perms rule that will take set the owner to the
person logged in at the console.

It would help if you explained exactly what you are after. You say
you want all users to be able to take control of the plugged in
devices. Do you want it to be whoever gets to the device first gets
control, or would giving control to whoever is logged at the machine
work out better? The second approach is the way FC5 is set up,
because you normaly have to be at the local machine to plug things
in. But I can see where you might want to control a plugged in
device remotely...

Mikkel