Re: Gnome stops wireless - avoided!

> On 7/23/06, dpet <activecs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I cant think where to look for this problem. Perhaps someone can help
>> me.
>>        If I run kernel  2.6.16-1.2133 my ipw2200  wireless works
well.
>> If I use a newer kernel (such as 2133  or 2157) it works fine in
level 3
>> text mode, but starting Gnome causes it to stop after a few  seconds
or
>> a couple of minutes. I can't restart it except by rebooting. I don't
>> know why something can be so variable, and don't know where to go
from
>> here.  As far as I can see, no logs tell me anything. Output from
>> ifconfig and iwconfig seem to be the same before and after this
occurs.

	As I mentioned during this message life, I am using a Toshiba A4
laptop, and it has been necessary to use kernel parameter "acpi=noirq"
to avoid  "Disabling IRQ11"  during boot.
	Now using kernel 2157 this wireless disappearing during Gnome sessions
can be avoided by using kernel parameter  "acpi=off". I wonder what
changed since earlier kernels, such as 2133.
	So I can now use everything except acpi features.  It seems that it
wont even poweroff any more.  All pretty sad on a laptop. I believe
there was a suggestion that there might be a way to overcome this (BIOS)
shortcoming.  But I don't know how.
	Thanks to the clever people who have helped during this problem.

DP
South Australia