Re: Sound on Acer Aspire ZWLMi notebook

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 17:41, JeeBee wrote:
> I have disabled artsd now in KDE by starting kcontrol -> Sound &
> Multimedia -> Sound System -> Unchecked "Enable the sound system". After a
> reboot I verified that artsd was not running anymore.
>
> Still, I do not hear any sound though, when running aplay or play.
>
> # /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
> Shutting down sound driver: /etc/init.d/alsasound: line 163:  2896
> Segmentation fault      /sbin/rmmod `echo $line | cut -d ' ' -f 1` ERROR:
> Module snd_seq_midi_event is in use by snd_seq_oss
> ERROR: Module snd_seq is in use by snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> ERROR: Module snd_seq_device is in use by snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_seq
> ERROR: Module snd is in use by snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_timer
> done

Have you got anything plugged into the gameport on the card, that's likely to
be using midi? Any OSS app will be using /dev/dsp, and will grab the
soundcard, preventing anything else using it.

> When I try again it hangs (also aconnect --removeall hangs then).
>
> Perhaps this is because the alsa sources 1.0.12.rc1 I installed myself
> have overwritten the .rpm files that I had installed before. There might
> be version conflicts, I have no clue how to check that.

Nor have I. That's something to ask about on the alsa-user list.

> # rpm -qf /etc/init.d/alsasound
> file /etc/init.d/alsasound is not owned by any package

rpm -q will only find rpms. Alsasound is a shellscript, and hence rpm doesn't
know that it exists.

I'm running out of ideas.

Nigel.

btw. Just a kindly word. Try and post your answers at the bottom of the
your Amixer output, and which still available on the previous post.  Top
posting makes it difficult to follow a thread.