Re: Sound on Acer Aspire ZWLMi notebook

I have disabled artsd now in KDE by starting kcontrol -> Sound &
Multimedia -> Sound System -> Unchecked "Enable the sound system". After a
reboot I verified that artsd was not running anymore.

Still, I do not hear any sound though, when running aplay or play.

# /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
Shutting down sound driver: /etc/init.d/alsasound: line 163:  2896 Segmentation fault      /sbin/rmmod `echo $line | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
ERROR: Module snd_seq_midi_event is in use by snd_seq_oss
ERROR: Module snd_seq is in use by snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
ERROR: Module snd_seq_device is in use by snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_seq
ERROR: Module snd is in use by snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_timer
done

When I try again it hangs (also aconnect --removeall hangs then).

Perhaps this is because the alsa sources 1.0.12.rc1 I installed myself
have overwritten the .rpm files that I had installed before. There might
be version conflicts, I have no clue how to check that.

# rpm -qf /etc/init.d/alsasound
file /etc/init.d/alsasound is not owned by any package

The mixer properties that I have are (none of them are muted in
alsamixer): # amixer
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Front',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Capture 0 - 31 Front
  Left: Capture 0 [0%] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Capture 0 - 31 Front
  Left: Capture 0 [0%] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: enum