Re: Add/Remove Applications run amok in FC4

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 22:02 -0400, Robert Cahn wrote:
> I ran Desktop --> System Settings --> Add/Remove Applications.  After
> a 5 or 10 minutes the disk went on and stayed on.  When I finally
> launched System Monitor I found that the python task under
> system-config-packages was over 580 MB and still growing.  My machine
> has G/2 memory so it was paging out like crazy.  I finally managed to
> kill the process by rebooting.  However everytime I start
> system-config-packages the task
>
> python /usr/share/system-config-packages/MainWindow.py
>
> just grows at the rate of 20MB-40MB/min and doesn't stop.  It seems
> like some sort of infinite loop condition.  Can anybody suggest how to
> reset the history of installed aps so that I can use
> system-config-packages.  Are there any work arounds?

If you have done "yum update" on your FC4 system after it was installed,
system-config-packages isn't likely to be any use to you anyway, since
it can't cope with the changed dependencies after the updates. This is
fixed in FC5, where the application has been replaced by "pirut".

You'll be better off using one of the GUI package managers from Extras.

Paul.