Re: Cannot use neither rpm nor yum. Error message

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 10:24 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 24Jul2006 19:37, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | David Desscan writes:
> | >I cannot use neither yum nor rpm after I compiled and installed
> | >openssl-0.9.8.  I did the following before make install: [...]
> | >rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.5 : cannot open
> | >shared object file: No such file or directory
> |
> | And every time I warn someone against the bright idea of manually compiling
> | and installing your own stuff, instead of using rpm to install all software
> | on your system, some testosterone-laded ubergeek always begins mouthing off
> | how compiling your own stuff and installing it is always better [...]
>
> Sounds like Sam has had to fix this kind of thing too often.
>
> David, the core lesson here is: never install stuff you compile and
> build yourself in the vendor namespace (/, /usr etc). Use a --prefix
> of /usr/local or /opt/package-version or something like that.

There is another equally important lesson:

NEVER use --nodeps with rpm unless you *really* know what you're doing.
The dependencies in rpm are there for a reason. If you tried removing
the package without "--nodeps", rpm would give a list of packages that
depend on what you're trying to remove. That list of packages is a
first-level list of things you can expect to break if you remove the
package with "--nodeps". Seeing "rpm" on that list should ring big, fat
alarm bells...

Paul.