Automounting a usb stick happens differently on two systems

I have two FC4 installations. On one, when inserting a USB stick, I get a nice Icon on my KDE desktop. I can right click it and "Mount" the stick and it mounts on /media/usbdisk. On the other system, the stick is recognized, at least I see it in the /var/log/messages file as /dev/sda1 but I don't get a USB Icon on my desktop. So I have to mount it by hand.

Where is the configuration file for this operation so I may make both machines operate the same? I know I could add some stuff to /etc/fstab to do this, but the machine that does it automatically does NOT have anything in the fstab file for mounting the USB stick. Both machines were installed the same.

Regards

Doug P