Re: dual boot problem

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 10:29 -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:

On 7/21/06, Deepak Shrestha <d88pak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

well I am not expert in the boot loaders but I went through similar
problem before in Redhat 9 days.

It has something to do with Windows 2000/NT because windows 2000 MBR
and Grub is not compatible unlike Windows 98/me/xp, where grub can
chain load other operating systems. Whichever you install first,

Erm, see below.

windows 2000 will overwrite the MBR. If you plan to use both Windows
2000 and Linux, you have to use third party boot loader (I guess
commercial ones). Since its been long time I forgot which boot loaders
are avilable out there. You can search the goole for available tools.

The above is not true. Win 2000 and Linux both can be booted from grub,

Erm, see below

although it is true that it would be better the first time if the
Windows was installed first. Otherwise using Linux rescue and
grub-install will make it work.

Depends on OEM. I have a machine with XP and FC on it, and GRUB cannot
boot XP. So I use the XP boot manager to load either XP or GRUB. XP
actually has a pretty nice boot manager.

YMMV

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.