Re: FC4, automount and audio CD

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On one FC4 box I cannot persuade it to automount audio CDs as user (I use
> kde).  The command /usr/sbin/automount pointing to the device, in a root
> console, works.  From there I can play the disk in xmms, but I need a
> workable solution for the user.
>
> I've checked kcontrol, making sure that I can hear the test sounds, so the
> sound system generally is working.  It does seem to be the mount problem.
> How can I troubleshoot this one?
>
> Anne

Anne,
 Audio CDs are not mounted. But if you want one to autoplay when you
put it in, try running gnome-volume-properties and check the
settings. (It is used regardless of the desktop.)

As far as the permissions on the actual CD drive, they are normally
controlled by the concole permissions settings.
(/etc/securityconsole.perms if I remember correctly.) You can run
into problems because the first normal user that logs in locally get
ownership, and when they log out, it reverts back to the default
until another normal user logs in. So if you get one user logged in,
and then a second user logs in, the second user is not given
ownership when the first logs out. SO if user A logs in on the CLI,
and then user B logs in using the GUI, user A "owns" the CD drive.
Remote logins such as ssh do not count.

Mikkel