Re: Running LVM to repartition HD question

Stephen Liu wrote:
Hi Paul,

It's usually OK to share /boot between two different OS releases, but

you may have problems if you share it between two instances of the
same release, as there may be files of the same name from each installation. So if you upgrade your kernel in one instance, it may delete the kernel being used by the other instance.

Could you please explain in more detail.  TIA.  I'll not test
multi-boot with FC5_64 and FC5 32bit nor any version of FC.  I'll test
installing Knoppix on HD.

Suppose you have FC5 i386 and FC5 x86_64 sharing /boot. You update one of them to the latest kernel, which is 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5.

This puts the following files in /boot:

config-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
initrd-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5.img
System.map-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5

You then boot the other one and "yum update" that one. Guess what happens...

Paul.