Re: VIDEO_TS.BUP VIDEO_TS.VOB VTS_01_0.IFO VTS_01_2.VOB VIDEO_TS.BUP VIDEO_TS.VOB VTS_01_0.IFO VTS_01_2.VOB VIDEO_TS.IFO VTS_01_0.BUP VTS_01_1.VOB :(

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 09:03 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 24 July 2006 07:06, Heikki Pesonen wrote:
> > I have old 2*8 and super 8 films I have earlier transferred to computer
> > using VHS-video. In my recent computer I do not have the analog video input
> > device. A friend of mine transferred my movies to DVD, and I see them in my
> > DVD-TV system. So I thought It's as simple as earlier to transfer the data
> > from the DVD to the computer.
> >
> > Earlier I used Pinnacle Studio in Windows, which is a very good program to
> > use, although unstable. But now Pinnacle Studio 9 can not read the files in
> > the DVD, although they seem to be mpeg-files. In Linux the content of my
> > DVD is:
> >
> > [fossiili@localhost JVC_DVD_ROM_PVD]$ ls
> > VIDEO_TS
> > [fossiili@localhost JVC_DVD_ROM_PVD]$ cd VIDEO_TS
> > [fossiili@localhost VIDEO_TS]$ ls
> > VIDEO_TS.BUP  VIDEO_TS.VOB  VTS_01_0.IFO  VTS_01_2.VOB
> > VIDEO_TS.IFO  VTS_01_0.BUP  VTS_01_1.VOB
> > [fossiili@localhost VIDEO_TS]$
> >
> > I appreciate, if you can tell me some programs I could use
> > 1. to read these VOB-files and transfer them to some common mpeg-format I
> > could move to vfat and after that process in Windows
> > 2. to edit the files in Fedora Core 5 and write the results to DVD/CD or
> > VHS.
> >
> > No wonder, that "Totem was not able to play this disk" - neither could any
> > program I have in my WindowsXP Home. It does not matter, because a cheap
> > device with my old TV can do that!
>
> You're much nearer than you think.  First, you do not need to change the
> format or to edit those files in any way.  As well as the files you list, you
> should have a directory called AUDIO_TS.  Use k3b or any other burning
> application to copy both AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS onto your dvd.  (It doesn't
> matter if AUDIO_TS is empty.)
>
> You then have a playable DVD.  However, you will need other packages installed
> to play them, as those are not supplied with FC, due to potential illegality
> in some countries.  You can get them through some of the external
> repositories, probably freshrpms or livna.  You certainly need libdvdcss, and
> you should get every codec package you can see, as you will also need them
> for mp3 and some other multimedia formats.
>
> Anne

Hi

I have just carried out the above and created an iso image from VIDEO_TS
and AUDIO_TS directories using xcdroast

Ran mplayer directly on the iso image, it ran correctly as a complete
dvd!!
(I usually play the VOB files separately! in which case mplayer, xine
and totem-xine all work)
################################
I tried totem-xine on the iso image with the message
"The source seems encrypted, and can't be read.
Are you trying to play an encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?"
However
rpm -qa|grep -i libdvdcss
libdvdcss-1.2.9-2.lvn5.i386
I tried xine on the iso image with the message
"couldn't find demux for ...iso
this usually means the file format was not recognised"

I don't understand what is going on!!!!

John