Re: lightscribe cd/dvd writers and linux

On 7/23/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 11:44 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 3:19 PM +0800 7/23/06, Lai Zit Seng wrote:
> >I believe at this time there isn't any native Linux way to do it. The
> >Linux version of Nero does not support LightScribe (though their Windows
> >version does). The labeling function aside, a LightScribe drive is
> >pretty much standard and definitely they work well under Linux :)
>
> How long does it take to print a LightScribe CD label (from MSWindows)?
> How many colors are there?  AIUI, printing even a small amount of circular
> text takes saveral minutes, and the print is greyscale.  CD printers cost
> more, but are faster and print in color.
Agreed

>  (Don't use CD labels, unless you
> want to damage your drive with unbalaced CDs or DVDs.)

Please don't spread FUD.  I, and many I know, have used the CD labels
for a long time and the only time any had trouble was when one of my
friends applied a label without using the tool to center the label.
I agree that they can be misapplied and cause imbalance, but only when
you fail to follow instructions and/or do not use the tool that comes
with the label kit.

> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

The biggest issue is proper storage of the media. Leaving the media in
a hot environment such as a car is not conducive to longevity of
either the media or the player. In high heat the label can detach and
jam in the player or laminate the reflective layer of the media.