Re: alsa busy

On 7/23/06, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 17:39 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 15:52, Ric Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > Check if /dev/dsp is in use by using `fuser /dev/dsp'.
> >
> > Evidently not, there was no output using that. It happens with both
> > Kaffine, XMMS and Totem.
> >
> > XMMS, run from command line in a terminal reports this:
> > Message: wait_for_helper(): select failed: Interrupted system call
> > Message: waiting failed: 1
> > Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
> > Message: helper has not terminated
> > Message: Init failed: 1
> > Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
> > Message: helper has not terminated
> > Message: wait_for_helper(): select failed: Interrupted system call
> > Message: waiting failed: 1
> > Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
> > Message: helper has not terminated
> > Message: Init failed: 1
> > Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
> > Message: helper has not terminated
> >
> > It's gotta be some flag that "helper" isn't quiting?
> >
> > Mplayer works playing the Dvd, but there is no menu option that I can
> > find, which means watching a half hour of trailers. heheehehe... this is
> > sure strange. Anyone seen this behavior? Thanx for the help, Ric
>
> Hi Ric.  Anything show up on, ps auxw, that looks like it's using sound? Are
> you able to stop Alsa, then restart it? Then trying the failing apps again.
> # /etc/rc.d.init.d/alsasound stop
> # /etc/rc.s/init.d/alsasound start
I re-installed alsa and there is still no /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound
nothing. Dinking with arts didn't do anything. I can fire up any game
and there is no problems. I can play mp3s and oggfiles with nary a burp
in the barrel. It's on DVD playback that there is a complaint. Beats the
heck outa me. Ric

Since the problem only occurs when you are doing DVD playback
shouldn't you be checking the DVD packages for compatibility? Which
repositories have you enabled to get your multimedia packages?