Re: lightscribe cd/dvd writers and linux

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 11:44 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 3:19 PM +0800 7/23/06, Lai Zit Seng wrote:
> >I believe at this time there isn't any native Linux way to do it. The
> >Linux version of Nero does not support LightScribe (though their Windows
> >version does). The labeling function aside, a LightScribe drive is
> >pretty much standard and definitely they work well under Linux :)
>
> How long does it take to print a LightScribe CD label (from MSWindows)?
> How many colors are there?  AIUI, printing even a small amount of circular
> text takes saveral minutes, and the print is greyscale.  CD printers cost
> more, but are faster and print in color.
Agreed

>  (Don't use CD labels, unless you
> want to damage your drive with unbalaced CDs or DVDs.)

Please don't spread FUD.  I, and many I know, have used the CD labels
for a long time and the only time any had trouble was when one of my
friends applied a label without using the tool to center the label.
I agree that they can be misapplied and cause imbalance, but only when
you fail to follow instructions and/or do not use the tool that comes
with the label kit.