Re: alsa busy

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 17:39 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 15:52, Ric Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > Check if /dev/dsp is in use by using `fuser /dev/dsp'.
> >
> > Evidently not, there was no output using that. It happens with both
> > Kaffine, XMMS and Totem.
> >
> > XMMS, run from command line in a terminal reports this:
> > Message: wait_for_helper(): select failed: Interrupted system call
> > Message: waiting failed: 1
> > Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
> > Message: helper has not terminated
> > Message: Init failed: 1
> > Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
> > Message: helper has not terminated
> > Message: wait_for_helper(): select failed: Interrupted system call
> > Message: waiting failed: 1
> > Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
> > Message: helper has not terminated
> > Message: Init failed: 1
> > Message: helper_cmd_data(): failed
> > Message: helper has not terminated
> >
> > It's gotta be some flag that "helper" isn't quiting?
> >
> > Mplayer works playing the Dvd, but there is no menu option that I can
> > find, which means watching a half hour of trailers. heheehehe... this is
> > sure strange. Anyone seen this behavior? Thanx for the help, Ric
>
> Hi Ric.  Anything show up on, ps auxw, that looks like it's using sound? Are
> you able to stop Alsa, then restart it? Then trying the failing apps again.
> # /etc/rc.d.init.d/alsasound stop
> # /etc/rc.s/init.d/alsasound start
I re-installed alsa and there is still no /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound
nothing. Dinking with arts didn't do anything. I can fire up any game
and there is no problems. I can play mp3s and oggfiles with nary a burp
in the barrel. It's on DVD playback that there is a complaint. Beats the
heck outa me. Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256