Re: New Hang at Startup Issue

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 12:45 -0500, Chris Schumann wrote:
> I've got a ThinkPad 600X with FC5. After some recent update, if I try to let
> the system boot normally, it hangs just before showing the login screen: The
> GRUB interface works fine; X starts and shows all the things that load; X
> re-starts and shows the solid blue desktop; I can move the cursor with the
> mouse, then it locks up dead.
>
> But if I make it start in runlevel 3 (by adding "3" to the kernel
> parameters), that's fine, I can log in and do "init 5" and everything is
> peachy.
>
> Where should I look for clues on what's going on?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris:

        I have an /etc/inittab that runs the line 18
         id:3:initdefault:
(it was id:5:initdefault in the FC 5 distro, but I dont like beginning
graphics-like) and
	x:5:once:/etc/X11/prefdm --no-daemon
last line of the script, that I commented out and I think manages the
login in graphics mode, firing xdm. Maybe you have the problem in this
last line.

                     Juan Carlos