Re: max ext2/3 filesystem and file size

T. Horsnell wrote:
> I'm trying to find the maximum size of an ext3 filesystem
> and the maximum size of a file within that system.

You may find these links interesting, current and relevant:
http://lwn.net/Articles/187321/
http://lwn.net/Articles/187336/
http://lwn.net/Articles/190169/

Take a look at the comments -- one contributor has built multi-petabyte
systems...

You may need to use something other than the old DOS partition format
(which most PCs currently use) to get past a 2 TB limit on the size of
disk devices. The obvious choice is GPT:
     The commonly-used MS-DOS partition table format can not be used on
     devices larger than 2 TB. For devices larger than 2 TB, the GPT
     partition table format must be used. The parted utility must be
     used for the creation and management of GPT partitions. To create a
     GPT partition, use the parted command mklabel gpt.

     · The Anaconda installer currently only supports GPT partition
     tables on the Itanium™ architecture. As a result, it is not
     possible to install or format devices that are larger that 2 TB
     with Anaconda, except on Itanium™ platforms.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/as-s390/RELEASE-NOTES-U1-s390-en.html
(ignore the s390 bits -- it's just that those systems are most likely to
encounter this problem).

Hope this helps,

James.
--
New address: james  | It's fair enough for a surgeon to refuse to operate on
@aprilcottage.co.uk | someone who won't stop smoking: you've got to give the