Re: trouble booting FC5. Please help!

At 8:08 PM -0500 7/20/06, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 7:25 PM -0400 7/20/06, Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>>> It is probably possible to boot both installations from the same boot
>>> partition and let the root filesystem be referenced to match the
>>> particular installation. I think it would be a mess during updates to
>>> the kernel though.
>>
>> I do that and have no trouble (FC3 on LogVol00, FC5 on LogVol02).  OK, the
>> FC5 installer did remove all my other kernels, but I'd made a backup so it
>> was easily fixed.  Yum updates don't seem to have any problem.
>>
>Tony,
> In your setup, do FC3 and FC5 share any kernels, or do they have
>different kernels and initrd images? If it is the later, then I
>would not expect problems. I am not sure, but I would expect
>problems if you tried to use the same initrd image with 2 different
>LVM groups. Maybe you could try booting FC3 using a FC5 kernel, but
>changing the LVM group in Grub, and see what group gets used during
>boot.

They don't share kernels or initrd images or grub stanzas.

I tried booting FC5 with FC3 kernels.  I don't quite remember what worked
and what didn't, though it was rather unsatisfactory all around.  SELinux
was very unhappy -- I had to disable it to get anywhere and do a relabel
afterward, so I'm not eager to try again.