Re: trouble booting FC5. Please help!

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>>
>> I do not think this will work, because when the op deleted the /boot
>> partition, the installed kernels and everything except the first
>> stage Grub loader were deleted. The kernel(s) and the rest of Grub
>> can probably be copied from the second install, but the
>> init-<version>.img will have to be rebuilt to use the proper volume
>> group. Then the grub.conf file will have to be edited to change
>> VolGroup01 to VolGroup00. Then doing a grub-install would work. But
>> it would also stop the second installation from booting. You would
>> ether have to change where the first stage gets installed, and the
>> add a chainload entry in the Grubconf on the second drive. Or modify
>> the Grub install on the second FC5 installation, and chainload from
>> the frist install.
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> I missed that portion of the posting content. Since there were two
> installations, I figured they were intact. The absense of grub in the
> MBR was my focus.
>

> It is probably possible to boot both installations from the same boot
> partition and let the root filesystem be referenced to match the
> particular installation. I think it would be a mess during updates to
> the kernel though.
>
> I have successfully booted systems by just varying the root reference
> before. They were the same versions relatively.
>
> Jim

Were they using logical volume management? From looking at the
script that builds the initalrd image, it looks like the volume
group for the root directory is part of the information in the
image. That would prevent using the same initrd image for both
installations. But this is my first installation using LVM, so I do
not claim to be an expert. Before LVM, it was easy to change the
root partition in the Grub command line.

Mikkel