Re: Good system practices (Was: How to understand what screensaver...)

Il giorno mer, 19/07/2006 alle 10.48 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson ha
scritto:
> Ambrogio wrote:

> If you are starting services "at least 10 times in an hour", then
> there is something wrong with your setup. Most services are start at
> boot and forget about them. If it is a seldom needed service, you
> might considering starting it on demand from from xinetd instead of
> manualy starting it.
Ok, this is an example.
My today morning work.

Plug a network cable (net A)
Set IP address (static because no dhcp)
Set route for some other network (no default gateway available)
Telnet on some switch.
Start vmware (because a software can start only on windows), and use the
software.
Capture some data.
Start ftp
transfer some other data
stop ftp
unplug network cable (so stop network)
Plug another network cable
Bring up the network (here dhcp is ok)
Start Cisco VPN because otherwise nothing works.
Connect to some other switch.
Connect to some machines
after this work (1 or 2 hours in which I plug and unplug and config (by
scripts) starts another works :-)
Maybe the same, or maybe different, but the plugging and unplugging is
very often.

To not say that this is on a customer. But I work all around Italy,
visiting Customer, and all are different... each one with some paranoia,
about VPN, about dhcp, about Antivirus, about some other...
So everytime I have to reconfigure my pc to work, and I have to be
speedy, smart and without error.

> One big difference when using sudo is that you can only run specific
> commands as root. This is not the same as full root access. If I set
> it up so a user can run "sudo fdformat /dev/fd0" the the user can
> format a floppy, but not the hard drive. You can give very limited
> root access that way. It also has the advantage that they do not
> need to know the root password. If you have a user that you trust to
> install software for the entire system, then you could set up sudo
> to run yumex or one of the other GUI package managers. For most
> packages, you can build them to install in the user's home difectory
> tree if it is just for that user.
Ok, but I'm the only user on my PC. This is the reason I want
screensaver working. Because if I go taking coffee, One can be another
user on my PC.
Normally noone can access my PC. I do not have TCP port open, or I open
only when I need, and for time that I need (this is the reason why I
start services only on demand).

> This is like the person that does not back up the system because
> they have been running it for 4 years now, and they have never
> needed backups.
I make backups every days, check it every weeks and so on.
I know all best practice, and I know that I can do something wrong.
Never happed until now.
But be user and not root (for me) is not more sure.
On my PC, only important things are my data.
If I'm root, I can delete all my disks (with my data).
If I'm user I can delete only my data.
What the difference?

> You also sound like one apprentice I had back when I worked
> construction. He did not believe he needed to remove his rungs
> before starting work. After all, he had been doing it hes way for
> over 3 years, and nothing bad had happened to him. He is missing the
> finger that the ring was on after it caused a short circuit. The
> ring became hot enough to burn through his finger.
>
> If you are careful, you can go for years without problems. But all
> it takes is one careless moment. It is better to develop good habits
> so that the day you do become distracted, the results will not be a
> disaster.
This is the reason for which I'm using only things that I know well, and
think 2 or 3 times before press keys.
But I know that I can repair a disaster on my PC in little time.
Not so on my Customer, on which I have to work as root, for the things
that I have to do every day.
Config, install, check, driver, firmware and so on.
Make file systems, migrate data, change disk layout and so on.
I'm working every day with data that aren't mine. And I know that I can
cause a very big disaster for me if I lose data that aren't mine.

I know that everytime I say that I'm working as root every day for a lot
of days, all says that I'm wrong.
But my big question is.
If I used a screensaver (or something else doesn't matter now) that
worked as root before, and after a working day doing I don't know what,
this software is not working as before.. what was wrong?
And if I was not root, I would be the same behaviour.
Noone says your problem may be that some upgrade was wrong, or some
configuration changes brake things.
No... all says... don't use root.
Ok now I was root and I caused a disaster :-)

Now I try to solve it
Bye
 Ambrogio