mail-notification

I just installed the "mail-notification" package from extras on my newly minted FC5 box and I am curious...

Why did I have to install mail-notification?

Or, equivalently, why doesn't the default GUI (Gnome2) and Email client (Evolution) have a feature to display an email icon when new mail is received?

Or, equivalently, does such a feature exist someplace that I just couldn't find, short of installing an add-on package?

Or, most equivalently, what am I missing? :-)

I am new to FC5, having run SuSE 9.1 for the last couple of years (and various flavors of RedHat prior to that).  I've read the wiki that describes the distinction between core and extras.  It seems odd to me that some sort of mail notification capability was not considered to be a "core" feature.  It seems so odd as to make me wonder what I'm missing.

--wpd