fax2tiff/tiff2pdf image "squish"

I am using fax2tiff and tiff2pdf to convert incoming faxes to pdf files for
viewing and printing

My command lines are as follows:

fax2tiff -M -o filename.tiff filename.fax
tiff2pdf -pletter -ofilename.pdf filename.tiff

This seems to work fine for faxes that are less than a full letter-size page.
But full-page faxes come out looking squished vertically, like every second
horizontal line is missing or something.

I suspect that I am missing a magic command line switch for either fax2tiff or
tiff2pdf.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net