FC4 to FC5 upgrade login sound reeeaaaallll slow

I just upgraded from FC4 to FC5 using the download iso images.

It was painless enough, but now when the log in screen is present, the log in sound plays reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy slow. After I login the rest of the sounds come on perfectly. When I check out the System->Preferences->Sounds. There is a momentary blank warning dialog and then the Sound dialog comes up. All the sounds, including the log in sound play at the correct speed.

Any thoughts.

Its a HP Omnibook 6000, ESS Maestro-3i, the driver is snd-maestro3.