Re: How to downgrade a package to a specific minor revision

On 7/19/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Oliver Fuerst wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the problem that I upgraded Postgresql server to the latest
> revision 8.0.8. Unfortunately this gave me a compatibility issue
> where my UNICODE database can be backed-up but not restored as the
> UNICODE checking routines in 8.0.8 are much more strict (my database
> contains some characters which the new checking routines reject). I'm
> running Fedora Core 4 on a Dell PowerEdge 2850 (i386).
>
> My question is, if it is possible to downgrade all the Postgres
> packages to 8.0.7?
>
> Best, Oliver Fuerst

I did not do this myself, but some have stated that they dump the
database before upgrading to a new version. Then they bring it in to the
newer version. You might find information in the archives somewhere. I
remember the subject being discussed.

Anyway, to downgrade a package to a previous version, run the
--oldpackage flag to rpm.
Basically, download the older version and dependent programs to a
directory. Then run the below from a root terminal and in the directory
  where you have the older rpms.
rpm -Uvh --oldpackage *.rpm

You should then have the previous version installed.

Jim

Smart Package Manager has the capability to downgrade a package and
it's dependent pacakges. All packages need to be available on enabled
repositories. Install smart-gui from Extras, click on the version that
you want, and smart will figure out the package combination that meets
your selection. Although I haven't tried downgrading with Pirut I
believe it too has that capability.