Re: How to understand what screensaver (xscreensaver gnome-screensaver kscreensaver) is used

Il giorno mer, 19/07/2006 alle 12.07 +0200, Trond Danielsen ha scritto:

> I am shure others have said this before, and it is not an answer to
> you question, but there is _really_ no need to log into X as root.
> There are numerous reasons why you should not do this. Use su or sudo
> to gain root access as a normal user.
I don't want to start a flame, but there are 2 arguments in my mail.

First is: why stopped working screensaver.
This is a real problem. I don't know if the bug was before or is now :-)

Second is:
I know that "all" says, don't log as root. And I also say to don't.

But I think also that if I say to someone to not log as root, is because
I know that HI/SHE is dangerous. And I don't teach to use su or sudo.

I think that if I use su or sudo, I become as dangerous as if I'm logged
as root.
So what is the advantage to become root when needed.
I think that if I will asked for root password everytime I start a
service (at least 10 times in an hour) or if I asked for password
everytime is needed I will become nervous.
The same for shell (I use it very very often). No. I use everytime the
shell. I use it for all things.
So I have to issue su - root, give password and work as root. What is
the difference?
Or I have to configure sudo for my user, that is the same as permit to
user all as root.
What is the difference?
And what about upgrade, installing software and so on?

I'm working on production server every days, with root password or sudo
configured, and never happens something wrong.
I'm using linux on my laptops for at least 3 years. I changed 3 laptops,
started on fedora core 1 until core 5.
Everytime backing up my data, reinstalling OS, and restoring my data,
configuring my apps and so on.
Everytime as root and without any kind of problems.
I don't understand why now I have to not use root.
I think Linux is an expression of my freedom using PC. So if I want to
use root, I can (whit my own risk, but with full functionality).
Why screensaver wont work as root I don't undersand. It is more probably
a programmers choice, not a system choise.

So now I have to think on how to convert all my scripts, scheduled jobs,
services, and apps working as now, but with another user.
Desktop, menus, fetchmail, bogofilter, procmail, firefox with bookmark
and so on.
I'm confident that I will be able to make this conversion but I have to
work a lot.
Only because screensaver is not working :-)
Maybe it's better that everytime I want coffee or cigarette, I will
touch on Ctrl-Alt-L ;-)

Bye
 Ambrogio