IPTABLES question

Hello

I know that the preferred way of controlling access is to use
whitelists, but for my case I'd like to use IP blacklisting.
Now using a script like
#!/bin/bash

if [ -f badips.txt ]
then
for BAD_IP in `cat badips.txt`
do
iptables -A INPUT -s $BAD_IP -j DROP
done
else
echo "Can't read badips.txt"
fi

I have like 96 banned IPs so far. I am wondering about the possible
performance hit on my system, and the limits of iptables.
What if I have thousands?

--
Michael Yep
Development / Technical Operations

Your Link to Effective Business Communications!
Specializing in telecommunications and Internet technology. If it helps connect you with your customers, remote employees and colleagues we do it. We put you in control of today’s technology.  From Teleconferencing, WebConferencing, Auto Attendant and Broadcast messaging to Custom data collection, ecommerce, CTI and IVR services.