Re: Was: Software manager crashes in GUI Now: Yum Issue

On Friday 07 July 2006 13:45, Phil Meyer wrote:
> Jack Gates wrote:
> > When I run any yum command other than yum list installed, I get this
> > error:
> >
> > Searching Packages:
> > Setting up repositories
> > core
> > [1/5] updates-released
> >  [2/5] extras
> >   [3/5] updates
> >    [4/5] base
> >     [5/5] Reading repository metadata in from local files
> > Error: Caching enabled and local
> > cache: //var/cache/yum/updates-released/primary.xml.gz does not match
> > checksum
> >
> > I have no idea how to fix this.  Can some one help out?
>
> This occurs when the yum repository you last visited has a different
> checksum for the file.  Happens quite often if you maintain a local
> repository and then hit an outside one.
>
> What is supposed to happen is that if the file is at all different it
> should load it again.  But to make caching at all efficient, there is a
> window of time where yum will make assumptions based upon the last run,
> and sometimes those assumptions can be wrong.  Especially in dealing
> with repositories that change as frequently as Fedora repositories do.
>
> Simple to fix:
>
> sudo yum clean all
>
> Now, try that yum install again.
>
> If you wish to avoid the problem as much as possible in the future, it
> requires that you manually edit the /etc/yum.repos.d/* files and put the
> mirrors you like first on the list.  There is no way that anyone can
> predict which repositories would work best for you, so you have to dig
> for yourself.
>
> It is valid to add a baseurl line before the mirrorlist line in a repo
> file.
>
> Example ONLY:
>
> [extras]
> name=Fedora Extras $releasever - $basearch
> baseurl=http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/extras/$releasever/$ba
>search/
> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-extras-$release
>ver failovermethod=priority
> enabled=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-extras
> gpgcheck=1
>
> try:
>  wget -O /tmp/mirr
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-extras-5 and look at
> /tmp/mirr for a list to choose from.  This list changes frequently.
>
> Do this for each repository.
>
> Another good way is to do a large yum update and during the downloads,
> hit ^C to cycle through the mirrors until you get a great one.  Then in
> another window do: tethereal
> and watch a moment to see where you are currently getting it from, and
> use that one in your updates repo file.
>
> Hope this helps.

I was able to get yum to work as was shared above.  I am wondering if my
system is up to date or if I am missing something.  Should I add or delete
anything to any of these files below?

example from one of my files below

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo

How should a file.repo be configured?

I just added this to /etc/yum.conf.rpmnew

[extras]
name=Fedora Extras $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/$ARCH/

# in /etc/yum.repos.d  *What does this line mean?*

/etc/yum.conf

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20

#[base]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
/
#baseurl=http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/

#[updates-released]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$bas
earch/
#baseurl=http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates

#[updates-testing]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$release
ver/$basearch/

#[development]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/

/etc/yum.conf.rpmnew

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
[extras]
name=Fedora Extras $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/$ARCH/
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

/etc/yum.repos.d

total 80
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Apr 26 15:29 ./
drwxr-xr-x 99 root root 12288 Jul 18 05:46 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   840 Mar 14 18:20 fedora-core.repo
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  1549 Mar 14 18:20 fedora-development.repo
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   780 Mar 14 18:20 fedora-extras-development.repo
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   763 Mar 14 18:20 fedora-extras.repo
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   486 Mar 14 18:20 fedora-legacy.repo
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   790 Mar 14 18:20 fedora-updates.repo
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   865 Mar 14 18:20 fedora-updates-testing.repo

Thanks for any help,
Jack

--
Jack Gates http://www.jlgates.com/