Re: mirrors that don't work

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:42:13 -0400
Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've reported two such issues to "Fedora Infrastructure" "update system".
> One was accepted, the other was pushed onto "website".  I haven't seen any
> activity on either bug in the past couple of months, so don't get your
> hopes up.

Recent chatter on the devel-list(1) suggests that the next test release of
FC6 will include an update to yum which improves the mirror list functionality.

Instead of downloading a static mirror list, your IP address is used to
look up a country code.  If a match is found, servers from your country
will be returned instead of the global mirror list.

Either way, the list of servers returned will have been automatically checked
to ensure that they are up to date.  The check isn't perfect (it only tests
the metadata on each server) but it should improve the situation a lot.

Cheers,
Sean

(1) http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-July/msg00409.html