Re: atrpms kernel modules

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 03:35:28PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 14:41 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> >>Neither yum nor rpm know which packages you want to get from which repo
> >>unless you explictly tell them. The big list of packages you get are
> >>packages (or their dependencies) that you already have on your system
> >>(from some repo other than ATrpms) that have "later" versions in ATrpms.
> >>Since you told yum that you wanted to update all of the packages on your
> >>system to the latest versions, and to get packages from ATrpms, it tried
> >>to do what it was told and you got the big list.
> >
> >	Yes, and agreed and understood.  But also one that lead smack into a
> >critical dependency failure that killed the update cold.  A dependency
> >failure that only occurs when ATrpms is included.
>
> To be fair, this could happen when any two repos are used that have
> packages with the same names (or having the same "Provides" as far as
> RPM is concerned). It's not specific to ATrpms.

To me it really looks like a yum bug. Especially when ocaml is
verbosely set to be updated to some version and suddenly ocaml at the
end is said to be not available.

So my recommendation (to Michael) is: (after making sure that your
system is not having a brokeeeen rpm database) try using smart and see
what this will suggest to do. It should at least offer a better result
than bailing out.

smart at ATrpms and the atrpms-package-config and
medley-package-config contain livna smart channels, but also a bit
more, so if you use that you will have to deactivate some repo to
really test the only livna&atrpms activated setup. Or you can install
smart from extras and add livna&atrpms channels to it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net