Re: unable to su - to root or to any user on FC3 (solved)

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> You are saying it but what you are saying is hard to believe. You are
> trying to su in inti level 1. Only root can be in init level 1. When you
> boot to init level 1 you don't even enter a passwd.

Out of interest, what do you think should stop su working in init level
1? I mean on a "physical", which-bit-of-code-should-cause-an-error-and-
why level?

Init levels don't make much difference from a kernel perspective -- they
just change the selection of user-space software that runs, and what
gets configured and how. So you're back into a very simple Unix-like OS,
with no daemons running, and (as you say) you're automatically given a
shell running as root. But glibc and the kernel are still there.

What su does (effectively -- there's a bit of hand-waving here) is to
ask the kernel to start a new shell running under a different userID.
Shells work in init level 1, obviously, and the kernel is still there.

There isn't support for multiple logins by default, true -- but the
concept of different users with different rights is still present in the
kernel, and you can still make use of it.

Thanks,

James.

--
New address: james  | That brought a lump to the eye and a tear to the
@aprilcottage.co.uk | throat.