Re: atrpms kernel modules

Le mardi 18 juillet 2006 à 10:41 +0200, Axel Thimm a écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:57:28PM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 03:24 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > But it's not a real problem, on ATrpms' archives you'll find
> > > three-line recipes that effectively do what you want it to do.
> >
> > 	Funny...  Livna doesn't seem to have this problem.
> >
> > 	Ok...  You got some URL's or even some search terms or are we just
> > suppose to spider the archives?
>
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:10:20AM +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> > I don't have this problem with kernel module from livna but it does not
> > matter. If there is a recipe to do this, can you please give me a more
> > precise pointer and maybe this recipe need to be somewhere on your
> > website.
> > Eric
>
> The issues are with upgrading within a kernel and coinstalling for
> different kernels. If you merge the two different versions then the
> system can never know whether the packages are to be coinstalled or
> replaced and upgraded. *Both* operations are required. ATrpms solves
> this by requiring one to be done manually. If you merge the versions
> you either sacrifice upgrades within a kernel line or supporting
> concurrently installed kernels.
>
> Here is a more elaborate script ripped out of my own
> anaconda/reinstall system:
>
> kernels=`rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz-* | grep -v "^file .* is not owned by any package"`
> uname_rs=`rpm -ql $kernels | grep ^/boot/vmlinuz- | sed -e's,^/boot/vmlinuz-\(.*\)$,\1,'`
> for kmdl in `rpm -qa \*kmdl\* | sed -e's,-kmdl-.*,-kmdl,' | sort -u`;
> do
>   for uname_r in $uname_rs; do
>     package=${kmdl}-$uname_r
>     rpm -q $package > /dev/null 2>&1 || echo $package
>   done
> done | xargs -r smart install -y

Ok this script seems to use smart. is it working with yum ? How is this
problem handled by livna because it works fine using this repo : the
kernel modules are installed and not updated when i install a new kernel
and are removed when the kernel is removed. Why the same system is not
used on atrpms ?

> It will coinstall kmdls for any newly installed kernel, even an older
> one.
>
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:57:28PM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > --> Running transaction check
> > --> Processing Dependency: ocaml = 3.09.2-1.fc5 for package: labltk
> > --> Processing Dependency: lame = 3.96.1-6.lvn5 for package: lame-mp3x
> > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > Error: Missing Dependency: ocaml = 3.09.2-1.fc5 is needed by package labltk
> > Error: Missing Dependency: lame = 3.96.1-6.lvn5 is needed by package lame-mp3x
> >
> > 	(I'm looking at most of what it wanted to update and I'm coming to the
> > conclusion that ATrpms and Livna have never learned to play nicey nicey
> > in the same sandbox).
>
> I think this conclusion is wrong. In your example above there isn't
> any ATrpms package. Also livna and ATrpms are at good terms, even
> though incompatibilites between different repos may always arise. But
> even here the maintainers are thinking of better solutions. Still the
> above example has no ATrpms in it, so it is not from the
> incompatibilities category.
>
> > I've been in dependency hell too often after making that mistake and
> > the above is an illustration why.
>
> You should perhaps try using smart instead of yum. At the very least
> it will not bail out and you will get a better understanding of which
> package was trying to block the upgrade process.
>
> > 	If I am totally up to date with the other repositories, why in the name
> > of Budda does ATrpm try to update stuff that was never installed from
> > ATrpms in the first place and then dick up the dependencies????
>
> Sorry, see above, there is nothing from ATrpms trying to install.

Eric