Re: How to connect remotely to GDM?

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
Hi,

I have a windows host running FC5 on VMWare. I'd like to connect to
GDM via XDMCP. The following steps have been done:

 - Switched off iptables
 - Enabled remote login in gdmsetup

On the Windows host I have an installed CygWin/X. No, when I enter

 xwin.exe -query 192.168.1.129

(which is the VMWare guests IP address), I can see the following in Ethereal:

   XDMCP Query
   XDMCP Willing
   XDMCP Request
   XDMCP Accept
   XDMCP Manage

So far anything looks good. But after that point, nothing happens,
except that the XDMCP MANAGE packet is repeated over and over again.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Jochen

Are you running a Windows firewall? I can't offhand remember which ports XDM and X require in order to work correctly. Certainly 6000 in order to contact display :0 on the PC, or 6001 for :1 etc. I have a nagging recollection that there is another port involved with XDMCP but I can't remember which. What traffic is XDMCP sending back to the PC? IIRC it needs to initiate a new connection on a specific port.

Setting up freenx/nx and the NX client is much simpler, and will provide you with a much better environment. We have pretty much abandoned Exceed in favour of NX.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555