Re: DejaVu fonts - Not 108% - Feedback.

See my comments below:

Alan M. Evans wrote:
On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 11:41, Albert Graham wrote:
The bottom line for me is I cannot use this font, because it lets subtle differences slip by me, I sit about 1 arms length from my 21in CRT monitor (as I have done for the last 25 years) and I just never had a problem before now.

I understand that technically you have to do things "technically correct" but, I'm a human, not a text scanner and that should be taken into consideration. It really sounds to me like this is a case of the "specifications" rather then actual real world which we all live in.

I live in this same world, and for what it's worth, I have no trouble at
all distinguishing zero and eight on my 19 inch LCD that I sit an
arm-and-a-half from. My settings specify 10 pt but I also had no trouble
with 14 pt as you use.

I'm not trying to suggest that you don't have a problem with it. I
really believe that you do. But that doesn't mean that the rest of us do
or even that most of the rest of us do. So your characterization of
"our" rationale being specification driven rather than human factors
driven is not necessarily on the mark.

Well, if believe your own words in this case, let's just all agree to remove the dot from the 0 altogether! and the entire problem has gone away.

I've seen a few posts on this thread where people are are comparing Letter O and Number 0, well firstly, O and 0 are not usually used in the same context and when they are, if a mistake is made, it usually does not matter, for example, if I say I'm going to pay back that loan of $1OOO, you know what I mean, that would even stand up in Judge Judy's court.

However, 0 and 8 are used in the same context in most cases as they are both numbers and an error here is much more meaningful don't you agree, I mean, I don't want to be forced to pay $1888 do I ?, and in my case it's not money but IP addresses (see pics).

I suggest that you enable it as default in FC6 as you plan, but I reckon it'll be complete gone by FC7, because this forum is going to be full of support requests that result in "Oh that's a typo, you idiot" responses to the unaware.

Apart from this one show stopper (for me), I really do like the font.

I for one would have welcomed some sort of screen shot from your system
that you believe to show the illegible type. Perhaps your DPI settings
or something are messing with the rendering. Or maybe you have a fuzzy
CRT. Or maybe you're blind as a bat...[1] In any case, there *are* other
explainations than that we don't care about human factors.

It's very funny[1] that my DPI never bothered me until I installed this font ?, So, If I now have a DPI problem just imagine all those to follow?

There are two screen shots here:

Both these are in KDE (Gnome is not for me  - g-No-Me :)

http://www.g-b.net/kconsole.png
http://www.g-b.net/gnome-termonal-under-KDE.png

I would suggest that you ask a friend or partner (a non-technical person if possible,) to have a look at the screen shots and see if they conclude the same as you, this is, after all the bottom lime).

Also, I'm not really bothered about the font myself, I only installed it to get a heads up as it's going into FC6, but I'm no font guru, I gave feedback because because it was requested (in the subject line) and I really do see a problem with this. I' not 20-20 vision, but I'm not too far off.

My solution would be to have a CTRL+NumPad 5 to toggle the dots on/off in the middle of the zeros :)[2]

Albert.

[1] I'm not trying to be funny :)
[2] This time I am.

Here are a few pics of my Desktop PC (Dual Xeon 3.6/2M), just to break the monotony of this thread :)

http://www.g-b.net/MYPC/imga1855.jpg
http://www.g-b.net/MYPC/imga1850.jpg

-Alan

---------