Re: General Help!!

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 16:18 +0100, Dan Track wrote:

> I've got a basic question which isn't uniquely related to fedora, but
> I hope someone can help me understand it.
>
> I've just started playing with Apache, and I've created some aliases
> and virtualhost entries. For all the entries I had in the first line
> *:80, however on one entry I had the servers IP address
> 192.168.11.2:80. When I restarted Apache and typed in the URL for each
> entry I had all of them failed except the virtualhost with the IP
> configured. However, when I changed the virtualhost with the IP and
> replaced it with *:80, every other virtualhost suddenly became
> reachable.
>
> Could some one please help me understand why putting the IP in
> overrides all the other entries?

If all of the name matches fail, it defaults to using the first
vhost in the list unless you defined a default.  So you probably
aren't matching anything.  It is possible to mix named vhosts with
those defined by IP or port numbers but you have to be careful
about it.  In particular the setting in NameVirtualHost: has to
match the subsequent <VirtualHost:   > settings.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx