Sound with flash playeron Firefox?

I am using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.
I can not get the sound to play correctly with flash player on Firefox or Thunderbird sound notifications. Either the sound is played at too high frequency or too low frequency. Video appears to play correctly. I will grateful for any suggestions to fix this.
Zoran