Re: Problem booting OS on IDE PCI adaptor card with Grub in MBR of hda

Tim:
>> I've only ever seen GRUB count hard drives, it skips other devices.  So,
>> if I had a system set up like with multiple devices, it'd be like this:
>>
>> Linux device   Type of device   GRUB device
>> -------------+----------------+--------------
>>   /dev/hda   |  hard drive    |  hd0
>>   /dev/hdb   |  CD-ROM        |  (ignored)
>>   /dev/hdc   |  IDE LS-120    |  fd0
>>   /dev/hdd   |  hard drive    |  hd1

nigel henry:
> Hi Tim. My confusion was in not realising that Grub counted the harddrives
> sequentially, ignoring how they were identified in /dev. This wasn't helped
> by the fact that /dev/hda, and /dev/hdb, the first 2 harddrives, were listed
> by Grub as (hd0), and (hd1), which at the time seemed to confirm that Grub
> followed the listings in /dev. Logically then /dev/hde is (hd4) right? No.
> Very wrong, and resulted in the long running argument with Grub, with it
> constantly saying "no such disc" when I tried install Grub in (hd4).

Yes, it is irritating, though explained in the documentation.  It's a
right pain on systems with removable drives.  You can't take a drive out
and leave it out, unless all the GRUB configurations come before it.

i.e. On a five drive system, you couldn't take out the second drive, and
have the following three drives treated the same as before.  You can
only take out drives from the last drive, backwards.

> btw. Did you see the post I sent back with regard to your question. "How do
> you know which cards are capable of multiple audio streams before you buy
> them?" The thread is "Audigy 2 has no playback sound"

Yes, saw that, thanks.  Just another thing on my lists to get around to,
though.

I read messages from the public lists.