Re: Bugzilla, RT3 and Trac

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 > On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 01:41 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
 > > Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 > >  >
 > >  > On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 09:51 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
 > >  > > On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 10:17 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
 > >  > > > I am looking for an issue tracking tool running on Fedora, preferably
 > >  > > > open source, that will accept incoming email replies to a comment on a
 > >  > > > particular issue as a new comment for that issue.  I think Bugzilla
 > >  > > > can do it but I haven't figured out yet how to make it work.  Does
 > >  > > > anyone with experience using rt3 or trac know if either of these tools
 > >  > > > supports such strong email integration?
 > >  > >
 > >  > > RT3 interacts very well with email and it is now packaged in fedora
 > >  > > extras so it shouldn't be difficult to install.
 > >  > It's in FE for > 1/2 year, and haven't receive _any_ PRs on it since
 > >  > then nor complaints about configuring it since then.
 > >
 > > Get ready.  I'll have some for you real soon now.  Here's a start:
 > >
 > > I found no simple, clear instructions along the lines of "Got Fedora
 > > 5?  A Web server already installed?  Sendmail already set up?  Well
 > > then, here's what you do: ..."
 > Do you expect me to explain how to set up a webserver and the MTA they
 > are using? This is beyond the scope of rt3.

No, of course not.  I was thinking that the Fedora RT3 RPM should
assume a default webserver setup, possibly running a post-install
script to verify that assumption.  If verified, then the RT3 web files
should be placed in /var/www/html/rt3, rather than /var/www/rt3.  This
is what seemed like a no-brainer to me.  I could be wrong however.  My
expectation and my goal is that someone like me who keeps my system as
Fedora-"pure" as possible can simply "# yum -y install rt3", go to the
browser, enter the URL http://localhost/rt3 and "puff", something
pretty close to what I want is displayed.  Maybe we detect that some
initialization needs to be done via the web interface, a cgi perl
script possibly.

Some interesting questions: What to do if Apache is not installed?  Or
if the webserver is a roll-your-own not installed via RPM webserver?
I think that in this case, there should be a /usr/share/rt3 directory
that contains all the files that a knowledgeable sysadmin would need,
along with some kind of a disclaimer that ... "you're on your own".

I guess my point is that the Fedora approach to RT3 installation and
configuration should be to do as much as possible given that
"standard/typical" Fedora conventions are adhered to, but provide the
wherewithal to accommodate non-standard Fedora systems.  Is that clear
what I'm suggesting?

 > >   Instead, I found a README.fedora that
 > > was inadequate at best,
 >
 > What did you find to be inadequate?

It is more interesting to talk about my goal.  I want to capture as
much of the experiences of RT3 installers/users as possible to make it
ever more easy for more users to join the bandwagon.  To that extent,
the Best Practical wiki is another no-brainer.  So the README.fedora
should say, and only say:

To install and configure RT3 on Fedora visit
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi/RPMInstall/Fedora and select
the instructions for the desired release.

That page will contain the information from your README.fedora enhanced
as follows (and nicely formatted so it is a pleasure to read).  I've
added questions and comments which come to mind in square brackets.

Finalizing the installation
===========================

The default configuration is set up to use MySQL by default. [Someone
not using MySQL can update the wiki later for PostgreSQL, or
whatever].  MySQL requires additional steps to be performed to be
fully functional.  [Can this be done via a cgi script?  That would be
cool.]

If MySQL has been installed and is already set up then ...

If MySQL has not been installed then it has now been installed [because
it has been made a dependency] and needs to be setup so do ...

Review and edit as appropriate the file /etc/rt3/RT_SiteConfig.pm
[which the postinstall script seeded with sensible defaults for a
standard Fedora system].

[If there is no choice but to modify httpd.conf then so be it and the
following is necessary, otherwise the following section can be skipped.]

Dealing with the web server ... [section on starting/restarting Apache
with hints/clues on likely trouble spots, like Perl modules and
version conflicts]

Attempt to log in ... [section on initial login, pretty much as per
the README]

Configuring the mail-interface ... [this is the missing info that had
me ready to scream.  I would suggest we add aliases to etc/aliases
automagically for correspondence and comments.  Is one pair enough or
does there need to be a pair for each queue?]

SELinux ...

Making changes ... [like what to do if you should change a Config
value and want to make it take effect.  How to do this is still not
clear to me.]

 > Feel free to provide patches.

Will do.  I'm planning to download the SRPM and go from there.  Expect
lots more questions and keep in mind that I think you've done a
wonderful job getting RT3 to the state it is now in (I'm assuming it
was you, my apologies if I have that wrong to those who did the
original SRPM work for Fedora).  And I am also aware that it will
probably be FC7, maybe FC8 before what I want to put in place is
working like a charm.

Thanks,

-pmr