Re: spca5xx freezes system

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 01:22 +0200, Marco777 wrote:
> Hello all.  I'm fairly new at the driver thing, but I have a sloppy workaround that makes the driver work for the latest kernel (2.6.17-1.2157_FC5smp in my case) with a QuickCam Communicate STX.  I don't know why it works, I only know that is works.  Any input would be appreciated.
>
> 1.  Get the driver sources from
>
> http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html
>
> Unzip and navigate to the directory
>
> 2.  Add the line "DEFINES += -fno-unit-at-a-time" around line 29 in the Makefile
>
> 3.  As root, execute
>
>     make clean
>     make
>     make install
>
> 4.  To load the module, execute
>
>     insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/spca5xx.ko
>
> I tried it before with just modprobe, and I kept getting an error that there was an unknown parameter in the kernel module.  I found this while reverting to my old webcam (a regular QuickCam Communicate) and using the qc-usb-messenger driver.  It would work fine when I first compiled and loaded it, but after a reboot I also got the unknown parameter error.  I just added the insmod line /etc/rc.d/rc.local to have it execute at startup.
>
> This makes the camera work with camstream and ekiga.  Vanity still won't detect it.  If this is a totally wrong solution that is messing/will mess up my system, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Marco Turcios

No luck so far, I just got the tarball and did as you did, I even have
both of the webcams installed and it doesn't detect either of them. It
is maddening. There is supposed to be some sort of program for linux
that lets you use windows drivers. I believe it costs, but about now I
use the sucker if it worked! Anyone know what that program suite is
named? Ric