Re: CUPS problem

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 12:03 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     This has been driving me batty for a few days now.  I'm running FC5
> with KDE as my desktop.  All updates are current as of this morning.
> Every time I go into Control Center -> Peripherals -> Printers it says
> it's (trying to) initialize the manager then a few seconds later a
> message comes up:
>
> ----------
>     Unable to retrieve the printer list.  Error message received from
> manager:
>
>     Connection to CUPS server failed.  Check that the CUPS server is
> correctly installed and running.  Error: the IPP request failed for an
> unknown reason.
> ----------
>
>     Now I searched google for that error and it seems a lot of people
> are having that same problem, and not only on Fedora.  And I couldn't
> find a solution to this either.
>
>     CUPS is running, so I don't quite understand the issue, nor how to
> solve it.  Looking in /var/log/cups/error_log I see this error message:
>
>     E [15/Jul/2006:11:58:37 -0600] CUPS-Get-Printers
> client-error-not-found: No destinations added.
>
>     And in access_log I see this:
>
>     localhost - - [15/Jul/2006:11:58:37 -0600] "POST /printers/
> HTTP/1.1" 200 112 CUPS-Get-Printers client-error-not-found
>
>     I've been trying to get my Lexmark printer installed but until I can
> solve this problem I can't proceed with anything else.

Ashley,

I have not tried to install a printer using kde, but when I used the
printer-gui module of gnome I was unable to get things working properly.
I had to remove the printers installed by printer-gui, and  used the
cups installation software by using the link:

httpd://localhost:631

cups has been a bear to get working over the internet with remote
connections but once I got it set up properly it has been very seamless
and good.

Good Luck!!!

Greg