Re: vgetty and USB modems

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Frank Cox wrote:

I am building what amounts to a fancy answering machine.  I have three modems,
one Diamond Supra that's serial only and two USR modems that have both serial
and USB port.  The ultimate objective is to use the Diamond to receive fax
calls and the USR's to receive voice calls.

When I put one of the USR modems on the serial port, a
file /var/log/vgetty.log.ttyS0 is created and it works great.

When I put the Diamond modem on ttyS0 and the USR modems on USB connections,
they show up as ttyACM0 and ttyACM1.  I can control them fine using minicom.
But I have been playing around with voice.conf all afternoon and having exactly
zero luck getting it to talk to those modems on the USB ports.

I have been working with this line:

voice_devices ttyACM0:ttyACM1

I have put into various parts of voice.conf, starting with the vm section, then
in generic and everywhere else that I thought it might work.

Every time I boot the computer, vgetty initializes the modem on ttyS0, even if
I don't have ttyS0 listed in voice.conf at all.  It never hits ttyACM0 or
ttyACM1.  There is no log file created that references ttyACM0 or 1 in any way
that I can see, and the lights on those modems never flash.

So, what am I doing wrong here?

its probably starting it from /etc/inittab, do you see the S0 line in there?