Re: Failed to activate ppp0 with error 2, 6 or 8

jakubi wrote:
I get these error messages:

"Failed to activate ppp0 with error 2"
no such device
on boot,

"Failed to activate ppp0 with error 8"

from /sbin/ifup ppp0, when connection is off, and

"Failed to activate ppp0 with error 6"

these indicate script failure before CONNECT
when conection is on.

I have an external serial modem, and I can connect with KPPP, but the firewall Firestarter does seem to have a conflict with this ppp0 issue. Eg. an error message like:

"Starting the Firestarter: ppp0: error fetching
interface information"

appears on boot.

What is the origin of this problem? How to solve it?

Regards, Alejandro

You need to watch /var/log/messages.

I assume that you tried to set up ppp using system-config-network or one of the KDE tools.

There are two distinct pieces of Fedora ppp. To start, use the wvdial command to test your dialup settings in /etc/wvdial.conf.

# wvdial ppp0

This will show you what its trying to do.
Make changes to /etc/wvdial.conf until this part works.

Next, use system-config-network to edit your ifconfig script, or edit it by hand.

# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

Use two terminals to test your ifconfig script: first one: tail -f /var/log/messages and second one: ifup ppp0

You will get it.