Re: Open files from network on FC5

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 14:01 -0300, Anderson Alipio - Clicaí wrote:
> Well, I also forgot to mention that I am using KDE... don't like Gnome
> very mutch.
>
> this happens in konqueror, I can see the files on the computers, but
> not open. This became a great thing for the users who are used to
> windows, just click in remote places and u can see all the workgroups
> and comp on the network, but don't open files.

I would think the same situation would apply (whether it was Nautilus or
Konqueror).  Not everything can access a file via a SMB type of URI.
Even some Windows applications can't, you have to map it to a drive
letter.

Clicking on some SMB://server/file.doc file in a file browser and hoping
that some other application, that can't directly open a file through the
SMB:// protocol, isn't going to work.  You'd only expect that to work if
the application's own open-file dialogue supports the SMB:// protocol.
Last time I tried KDE, the few things I tried it with didn't.

For things that don't, you want to mount the share onto the Linux file
tree, one way or another.  Entries in the /etc/fstab file that are done
at boot time are one way.  Or you can use one of the various
auto-mounter schemes (I've no hints about how to do that, I don't do
it).

I have an entry in my fstab file to mount a Windows 98 share, like this:

//server/SHARED   /mnt/server/shared  smbfs  noauto,uid=tim,gid=tim,noexec,nodev

If it were for something which understood multi-user ownership, like
Windows 2000, I doubt I'd need to specify uid or gid paramaters.  See
the man files for mount and fstab, to get you started.

I read messages from the public lists.