Re: Audigy 2 has no playback sound (resolved)

[snip]
Hi. Your lsmod seems ok. What is the USB device that's showing in /proc/asound/cards? I have a usb midi keyboard, but that is identified as an Evolution MK-225C. You only have to run system-config-soundcard once, which should set things up, and create an /etc/modprobe.conf file. If after making changes to alsamixer you then run system-config-soundcard again, the changes are likely to be lost, and you will be back to square one, as default.

Will you post the output of /etc/modprobe.conf please.

If you only have 1 soundcard, and your lsmod indicates that, the alsactl command to save alsamixers settings should be just run as.
/usr/sbin/alsactl store  ( no 0's 1's or anything else)

When you next boot up, alsactl restore will be run, and your saved settings should be seen in alsamixer.

As I've said. I use KDE, and know that KDE's Kmix default settings can interfere with the alsamixer settings on booting up. I do not use Gnome, so cannot comment if anything in Gnome is messing with alsamixer's settings.

Nigel.

Hi Nigel, I've rebooted and everything is operating as normal. I did as was suggested and ran alsactl store with no params and it was fine.

Now, that you've mentioned the system-config-souncard thing, it all makes perfect sense.

> system-config-soundcard
(assuming detection and no sound)
> alsamixer, then use 'm' to unmute various things (namely the audigy output jack!)
> alsactl store

For some reason I never considered that system-config-soundcard would do a redetection and reset everything, but it makes perfect sense, now.

I have no idea what the usb-audio device could be, perhaps it is a mis-identified piece of usb hardware, the only thing I would suggest there would be the PlayStation 2 > USB convertor that I have.

Thank you and thanks to Anne for her suggestions too.

FYI, output of /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 tg3
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1