Re: Compare lots of files

Frank Cox wrote:
I just got a new fileserver  and have copied the files off of my old fileserver
onto this shiny new one.

Before I take my old filesever offline, I would like to compare the files on
both machines to insure that nothing got corrupted during the copy process.

Is there a command that I can use to do this in one shot?  I have been playing
around with diff and the best I can do is to get it to give me a list of
"common subdirectories", but it's not comparing the actual files.  It took all
night to copy the files so I'd think a real compare would take twice that
long, and everything that I try with diff seems to run in a few seconds.

Check out the "-r" option of diff.

Paul.