Re: AIGLX compared with Novell XGL

Albert Graham wrote:
Hi Trond,

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Novell version of XGL as shown in this cool google video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-199899523054020719&q=Linux

Is the Fedora version anywhere as advanced as this ?, the last time I tried it, it really screwed up my configuration and it took a lot of yuming to fix.

... which is the reason it wasnt installed by default and marked experimental. Anyway you are seeing Compiz which is a window manager that provides the whiz bang effects and confusing that with the underlying framework. Metacity has a compositing manager with similar effects and Compiz can run on AIGLX too.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-June/msg00982.html

As I said earlier AIGLX is part of Xorg 7.1 and easily enabled now.

More information on what all this means is available at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject

For me, watching this video make me feel really jealous, However, I agree with the Fedora development approach on the GLX issues but, Novel have all this candy "in the here and now", and I think that makes a big difference, are we talking Fedora 10 ?

Xorg 7.1 will be part of Fedora Core 6.

Rahul